Saturday, August 4, 2012

Prime Number and Factorization

Prime Numbers and Factorization


This was one of my favorite units. I always enjoyed this subject as a student in elementary when it was introduced and as an older student. Again, I am enjoying it as an adult. How do I share my enjoyment and interest in the subject with students? One way is to have fun with the unit and answer why we need to know what prime numbers are and why we would use factorization in a real life problem. 

I found a fun video about prime numbers to introduce the subject to students.

The video gives the definition of a prime number as the only factors are 1 and me. Factors that divide evenly. It rhymes, and it is an easy way for a student to remember what a prime number is.
I also found a fun game for prime numbers and factorization. It is a jeopardy game and could be a very fun review.
I also found a website called Study Jams that has fun games. Prime Numbers    Prime Factorization

My children love to go to the school website and play some of the games on them. Some teachers have a few games and some teachers have numerous games and update them as they come up to new topics. This makes me think about what I would have on my website. I would want relevant games and topics not just something that I slap up there generically at the beginning of the year.

I even found numerous websites that offer prime factorization calculators. I can see how this would be beneficial for checking work, but I think it could open up the possibility of cheating. I do not think I would add one of these calculators to my class website.

What is the importance of prime factorization and how could you use it in real life?
I believe that if students understand why they are learning something, how they can apply it in real life and what value it holds, they are more receptive and willing to learn. Sometimes knowing the answer to the simple question why?, students turn from extrinsic motivation to intrinsic.  

Prime factorization helps solve numerous types of problems. It helps solve problems about multiples and factors. The GCF is helpful if you need to divide things up into groups, for example. 
Prime factorization helps with numerous things in real life. How is your computer and the documents on it kept safe? Data encryption..prime factorization helps provide solutions to protect data! Cryptography is code breaking! Prime factorization is necessary in that career!

1 comment:

  1. In mathematics, factorization or factoring is the decomposition of an object (for example, a number, a polynomial, or a matrix) into a product of other objects, or factors, which when multiplied together give the original.

    ReplyDelete